Travel to Dakar
Dakar is well connected to other African capitals. Air Sénégal International has good, regular connections to Praia in Cape Verde (US$300), Banjul (US$300), Bissau (US$200), Abidjan, (US$350), Accra (US$380) and Bamako (US$290). Lagos is best reached by Virgin Nigeria (around US$380). There are also good connections to Morocco (Royal Air Maroc), Algeria (Air Algérie) and Tunisia (Air Tunisia). For trips to East Africa, Kenya Airways is your best option. Trips to Nairobi cost around US$1600, and there are good connections to Uganda and Tanzania. Ethiopian Airways has an excellent link to Addis Ababa (US$800), and South African Airways flies to Johannesburg (US$1300).
Visa & health requirements for Travel to Senegal
All visitors must either hold a return or onward ticket, or pay a deposit to the airline approximately equal to the fare of a ticket from Senegal to their country of origin (refundable on request to the local Treasury before leaving Senegal) and all documents for next destination. Passports must be valid for at least three months on entry.
Visa and health requirements for various countries
- South African Nationals - No visas are required for holders of ordinary South African passports for Senegal for visits of up to 90 days. For visits longer than 90 days contact the South African Embassy in Dakar for assistance with the local authorities.
- American Nationals - must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for a stay of up to three months.
- UK nationals - UK nationals must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for a stay of up to three months if passport is endorsed British Citizen, otherwise a visa is required.
- Canadian Nationals - Canadians must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for a stay of up to three months.
- Australian Nationals - Australians must have a valid passport. A visa is required.
- New Zealand Nationals - New Zealand nationals must have a valid passport. A visa is required.
- Irish nationals - Irish nationals must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for a stay of up to three months.
A valid international health certificate proving vaccination against yellow fever and meningitis is required. Immunisation against hepatitis A and B, polio, tetanus and typhoid is recommended. Cholera and malaria is a risk. Bilharzia and rabies are present.
Embassy of Senegal in South Africa, Pretoria
57 Charles Street
Bailey's Muckleneuk, 0181
P O Box 2948
Brooklyn Square, 0075
Tel: 012 460 5263
Fax: 012 346 5550
Accommodation in Dakar
All prices hereunder subject to change without notice by the relevant hotels.
High End / Luxury accommodation (information provided by all-hotels.com)
- Hotel Faidherbe, Dakar, From: €38 EUR pp - 19 Avenue Faidherbe, Dakar, Senegal, 3197 - At downtown of Dakar, Faidherbe's hotel has 82 rooms, including 3 suites, 3 conference rooms, a restaurant, bar, swimming pool.
- La Croix Du Sud, Dakar, From: €46 EUR pp - 20 Avenue Hassan Ii, Dakar, Senegal, 232 - Right in the center of Dakar, and closed to the famous Place de l'independence Hotel
- Novotel Dakar, Dakar, From: €59 EUR pp - Avenue Abdoulaye Fadiga, BP 2073, DAKAR, Senegal, 18524 - The Novotel Dakar is located in the central business district, looking across to Goree Island,
- Hotel le Lagon 2, Dakar , From: €82 EUR pp - Route De La Corniche Est - Bp 3115, Dakar, Senegal, 3115
- Sofitel Dakar Teranga (Will Become Pullman on January 09) Dakar - From: €87 EUR pp - Rue Colbert, BP 3380, DAKAR, Senegal - The Sofitel Teranga Dakar, an exquisite luxury hotel, is conveniently located right in the heart of the business district.
Budget Accommodation (information provided by all-hotels.com)
- Hotel Farid, Dakar, From: €50 - 51 Rue Vincens - located in the city centre of Dakar, just 2 minutes walk from Independance Square
- Hotel Astoria, Dakar, From: €100 - 63 boulevard Djily Mbaye - situated in a quiet area of the heart of Dakar, near the major tourist attractions
- Hôtel du Phare Les Mamelles, Dakar, From: €50 - 36 Cite Des Magistrats, BP 37 RP - a new hotel with a guesthouse atmosphere near the airport and the beach
- Kingz Plaza Guest House (B&B), Dakar, From €50 - Villa 10504 Sacré-Coeur III, Mermoz - Luxury Budget Accommodation, located only 15 minutes from Léopold Sédar international airport, Dakar, with easy access to the city centre